A dish from the state of Karnataka made on special occasions, my mother has been asking me to make this ever since she tasted it in Bengaluru. My sister also makes a version of this rice and kept telling me to try it as it was very tasty. I finally caved in and made it a couple of weeks back when I found some nice raw unripe mangoes in the market. The rice was very tasty and reminded us of lemon rice which is prepared similarly.
Recipes: Raw Mango Rice
- 1 raw mango, peeled and grated to get about ½ cup of grated mangoes
- 1 cup basmati rice, soaked in water for about 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp broken urad dal
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 6-8 cashew nuts
- 2 dried red chillies, broken
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp grated coconut
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped to garnish
- Cook the rice and let it cool. When cool, gently fluff it with a spoon and spread it on a large plate. Keep aside
- Heat the oil in a pan and when the oil warms up, add in the mustard seeds and let the seeds pop.
- Next add the turmeric powder, and the urad dal and stir for a few seconds. After this add in the dried chillies, the peanuts and cashew nuts and stir until the cashew nuts start to become golden brown.
- At this point, add in the grated mango and the salt and stir. Cook covered until the mangoes become tender and cooked.
- When the mangoes are cooked, add in the rice and gently mix everything. You can check for seasoning at this point and add what is missing.
- Add in the grated coconut and stir well.
- Cook covered for a minute or two and serve hot garnished with finely chopped coriander leaves.